Personalized Attention From A Hometown Attorney

An Attorney Advocating For Victims Of Abuse

Candace M. Williams, P.C., works hard to protect those who have been abused or fear that they may be abused. I help clients file for orders of protection from any person whom they believe will hurt them. Each state’s restraining order places different restrictions on accused abusers, and many states offer more than one type of order. The orders have different names, such as “restraining order,” “order of protection,” “injunction” and “protection order.” In general, the order will force a person to stay away from you physically and to cease any contact with you. I do whatever it takes to protect you and your family.

Understanding Orders Of Protection

Every U.S. state and territory has some form of restraining order to protect victims of abuse by keeping the accused abuser away from the abused. Each state recognizes orders issued by every other state. The purpose of these orders is to limit the behavior of the harmful or threatening person so that you do not have to live in fear of further abuse. I can help you understand exactly how orders of protection work in Georgia. Some of the types of protection offered in many states include:

  • Stay-away provisions: This part of an order requires someone to stay a certain distance away from the person who asked for the order. They may also need to stay away from the other person’s home, school and place of business. This order can often be extended to protect any children involved as well.
  • Cease abuse provisions: These provisions specifically require an abuser to stop abusing or threatening to abuse the protected person or persons.
  • No-contact provisions: Most states allow orders preventing someone from attempting any contact with the protected person. This includes personal contact as well as contact by phone, computer, mail or even through a third party.

Other common provisions found in some jurisdictions require that the person the order is aimed at gives up their weapons or pays spousal or child support. Some states even issue orders allowing the person who filed the order to take sole possession of vehicles or living space by forcing the person listed in the order to move out. Restraining orders can be issued by different courts depending on the state. In most cases, a family court handles orders involving spouses. They may also be issued in civil or criminal cases. I will seek every possible legal remedy to protect you from someone who wishes to harm you.

If You Are A Victim Of Abuse Or Fear That You Are In Danger, Call Now

At Candace M. Williams, P.C., I provide skilled and efficient help. Call 470-705-5442 or contact me online to schedule a consultation at my Gainesville office.