Personalized Attention From A Hometown Attorney

LawPay - Make Payment

Ensuring Children Have The Financial Support They Need

Courts in Georgia are committed to reducing the potential harms kids are exposed to because of parental divorce or breakup, including poverty. Court-ordered child support is often the best way to achieve financial stability for kids. Two adults may be ending their commitment to one another, but they cannot end their commitment to support their children to adulthood.

At the same time, child support awards must be sustainable by balancing the needs of the children and the paying parent’s financial resources. At Candace M. Williams, P.C., I help clients on either side of a support order seek workable solutions in the best interests of their children.

Who Receives Support And Who Pays?

Child support awards are usually closely tied to custody orders. If one parent has custody more than 50% of the time, they are usually considered the custodial parent and are therefore entitled to receive child support from the noncustodial parent.

How Are Support Amounts Calculated?

There are a number of factors that courts consider when awarding child support. They begin by examining the combined incomes of both parents and subtracting any deductions. They then use a formulaic system to calculate payment amounts in light of all relevant factors.

Why You Should Work With An Experienced Attorney

You can’t change the equation that is used to calculate child support. But you can and should ensure that the court is working with accurate information and is aware of all the important components that should be factored into the equation. Whether you are the likely payer or receiver of child support, an attorney can help you present the facts clearly and convincingly to improve your chances of an appropriate and sustainable award.

Call Me For Answers To Your Child Support Questions

At Candace M. Williams, P.C., I have been providing excellent family law representation to clients in northeast Georgia for more than 20 years. To schedule a consultation with me, contact my office in Gainesville, at 470-705-5442. You can also send me an email.